Friday, September 19, 2008

A Life Lived Well




There are two different types of funerals (at least that I've experienced). There's the type where the mood is heavy and you can feel the utter devastation being experienced by the remaining loved ones. Then there is the type (like Amy's mom's funeral) where although there is great sadness, there is so much peace. Before I was a christian I never really noticed the difference, it was only after when I attended the funeral of a dear family friend (who knew Christ) that I understood. It's the difference of knowing your loved one is truly in a better place, and even though you are so sad to see them go, you will be able to overcome the loss and see them again.
What a joy it was that even though Amy's mom knew she was dying she was at peace, and knew where she was going. They said her final hours were spent surrounded by her loved ones, reminiscing and joking.
Being at the funeral and seeing the photos of her with her grandchildren reminded me of how blessed I am to have two awesome Grandma's for my children. My mom drops everything to watch Bern and Bella for us, we can pretty much go anywhere for any length of time and she'll happily agree to it. I appreciate all the sacrifices made so that Brian and I can get away from time to time, and would be so lost without these two Grandma's. There is nothing like a funeral to make you appreciate your loved ones.

No comments: