Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday Confessions

Sometimes I'm a really good mom, I cook my kids tasty meals, am patient with them, engage them in tickle fights, etc. Sometimes, not so much. This morning started off as a good mom morning, cuddling in bed with the oh so soft princess Bella. It quickly escalated into a bad morning once I exited the bedroom. I noticed that it was about time for Brian and Bern to head to school/work and Bern was only half dressed and busy in his bedroom making a booby trap. Don't ask. I told him to get dressed, then I told him to get dressed, and then 2 minutes later told him to get dressed again.



With Bern you have to be super repetitive, he has a hard time switching gears. Which is a nice way of saying he doesn't listen well. He finally got dressed, and the sock war was on. Bern prefers long, colorful socks as opposed to white ankle socks. I could care less about the long socks unless he is wearing shorts. You see I care what others think (I'm insecure) and I want people to think my kids are well dressed and cute.



Guess what socks he had on (hint: wasn't the ankle). So I coaxed him and bribed him and then I overpowered him (only 40 lbs., I can take him down easy). He cried and fussed and I told him to act his age (I think he might have been). We hugged and made up before he left, but I feel crappy because lets face it, some ugly socks are not really worth ruining his morning over. At his old preschool, there was a little girl that arrived every morning in a huge princess gown, mismatched sock, shoes, etc. I thought it was adorable, and that it was cool her mom let her go to school like that. I am such a control freak, need to work on this!!

Bern and his wicked sense of style.

2 comments:

ErinL said...

Hey...that same mom lives at my house sometimes too! Nice to know I'm not in it alone :)!

Anonymous said...

I've learned the hard way to pick my battles. Difficult to do sometimes but I ask myself - in a year from now, will it really matter?